Thursday, June 9, 2011

Trash: a good young adult book

Someone on line recommended this book, and I just read it. It is considered a young adult book, but has none of the usual young adult "trash" in it. :-)

This book is actually about a couple of boys (age 14) who spend their time on a trash heap in an unnamed country which sounds exactly like the Phillipines. One day, they find something, and the mystery begins.

The story is entrancing and engaging, a real page turner. The young adult part I believe is because of the corruption and torture going on in the government. The jail scene is awful, as well. Awful mostly because it is probably an accurate picture, and so it just breaks your heart.

My one criticism is of the choice of how the boys decide to return the stolen goods, I thought it ended a little bit cheesy, and I had an idea in my head of how they would make things right, and it didn't happen that way, so I suppose that's why I didn't care for the ending. However, despite that, it was still a good read.

If you are looking for a good cause to support after reading this book, please consider The Lingap Center. They are doing good things.

No comments:

Post a Comment